Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Argument paper to be due around March 3



Argument Paper (Due March 3)

Assignment Explanation:
Rubric:

Resources
NPR Solitary Confinement 

Due dates I am shooting for:
    February 24: all the notes should be done and checked off
    February 26: Outline of the paper (or earlier)
    February 27: Rough draft
    March 3: Final draft

I have some goals for this unit:
  • Obviously, the Common Core Standards require a written argumentative piece.
  • I also want a short timeline for this assignment because the Smarter Balance test will be having students doing a task similar to this (although it will be shorter on the test).
  • I want students to gather evidence for their claims from multiple sources.
  • With the abundance of information I have given students, there is no reason why they can't support their position.  I am providing an opportunity for the students to be successful as long as they step up and do the work.