Friday, November 08, 2013

Section 1: The narratives were due today.

We shared some of our pieces in class today.  Maybe we can share more next week.

Here is the essay I wrote and read to the class.  I modeled the steps for writing a narrative.



Remembering a Split Lip
By Brad Bosler

All I saw was my friend Shannon hurriedly walking past me with my son draped over her shoulder, his head lifted up looking backward, her arms swaddling him.  Her eyes were wide, and she was taking charge, of what, I was not sure, but I knew she was a nurse.  I also knew something was serious when I saw my wife’s face.  She doesn’t handle injuries well.  She panics and freezes, but she was walking behind them telling my son that things would be all right.
            When they passed, that’s when I saw his face.  His top lip had been split.  He cried, mouth open, in long sobs of pain, afraid to let his top lip touch the bottom.  It only took a glimpse at his injury to know that this was serious.  The confirmation came when I stepped into the bathroom to take over, to hold my own child, treat him, and comfort him.
            The blood from his lip flowed freely, the sink resembling a suicide scene, drops and splashes on the counter and on his shirt.  We reached for anything we could, confiscating a towel from their bathroom.  We were at his older sister’s softball workout in a building that was once a workshop of some kind.  The wooden floors creaked as we tried to rinse his face in the makeshift modern bathroom.  I didn’t care about ownership of the towel at a moment like that.  All I cared about was making the pain stop for my child.
            The human body is so fragile.  Most days we live our lives unaware that our skin is but a thin membrane stretched over fat and muscles.  We get scratches and nicks and think nothing of it.  But for my son and us that day, we learned that a softball bat to the face, even the weak swing of a small child, can tear open a gash that band-aids could not fix.  Our four-year-old son needed an emergency room.  He was going to need stiches.
            With the stinging pain in his face and blood trickling down his shirt, we had to drive thirty agonizing minutes from Rising Sun, Maryland, to the Christiana Hospital in Delaware. 
            An emergency room visit is marked by two things: waiting and gratitude.  Around us were people who needed more help than us, people with broken bones, some with poorly bandaged cuts, and babies wailing in misery. No mater the injury, no matter how much pain you think your child is in, you wait until it is your turn because there are people who are worse off.  The gratitude comes from knowing that the injury is not that bad.  The gratitude also comes from knowing that you will eventually be helped.
            We sat in the emergency room with our son.  All the while he was continuing to keep his mouth open trying not to let the split upper lip touch the lower lip.  The three of us listened to the painful sounds that surrounded us, for only a thin sheet separated the patients.  We heard the voices of other parents, their children crying out in pain.  We heard the intercom system asking for all free doctors and nurses to report for a code blue; someone had stopped breathing.  And we thanked God our son was only injured by a bat when we heard the call for the emergency room to prepare for a trauma patient being flown in by helicopter. 
            In a way, the emergency room is like a waiting room for death.  Those of us who were there for small injuries were give just a little glimpse of our own inevitable end.  But we got to go home.  For some that day, they would not be going home; they were just passing through.
            “I want to go home,” my four-year-old son would repeatedly say.  But we couldn’t.  We kept telling him that we needed to wait for the doctor, but that didn’t help.  We had been waiting for two hours and had many more to wait until his ordeal was finished.  My wife and I held each other’s hand while we each held one of his.  We knew our daughter was safe with our friend Shannon, yet I wanted her there.  We are a family.  You don’t think about what family means until something traumatic happens to refocus your attention. 

            My son was a difficult child since birth.  He was stubborn, and still is at twelve.  But every frustration I felt towards my son was buried beneath the love I felt for him at that moment.   Through all his stubbornness and anger he expressed daily, I often forgot how much I truly loved him.  As he lay there on the gurney, the plastic surgeon finally arriving after four hours, he looked so delicate.  They had sedated him so that he felt no pain, but he was paralyzed and awake.  I wondered what went through his young mind as his lip was being sewn up.  He looked dead.  The doctors warned me to not stand and watch because I might pass out.  I didn’t.  I just observed as I always do.
            I forget about that day in the hospital as I go through the routines of life.  I focus too often on the things that really don’t matter.  I let life frustrate me.  But every once in a while, while the family sits at dinner, I look over at my son who is usually doing something funny or stupid now; he is loosing his stubborn, difficult edge… slowly.  He will be smiling or giggling because he threw something at his sister.  I will notice the scar on his lip.  It didn’t heal well.  That’s ok. His scar reminds me of a younger Jacob, one that frustrated me on a daily basis.  But now I see him in the smile of the older Jacob, the one that frustrates me only every other day. Every time I see him smile, I try to remember what is really important in life.