Monday, September 10, 2012

Some growing the class information.


Growing my Class


The first place you should look if you are interested in knowing about my vision for this year is in my Parent's Night Power Point Presentation. I tried to organize all the thoughts I have for this year into one location.  If you cannot view the presentation, well, then... I don't know.  I think there are Power Point viewers available for download.




Self-managing Class:
Sounds too good to be true?

·      How many of you get tired of your teachers nagging you and telling you what to do?

·      Well, I am not going to do that because you are all mature young adults.

·      This is YOUR class, so you are going to decide how we treat each other.  And you are going to help each other follow what you decide.  I am no longer going to be the policeman.

·      The best part is that if you help each other, and I don’t get involved, there will be no consequences.

·      Do you believe me?  Imagine what this will look like.


We need to build our Social Contract.

The social contract is our list of words that describe how we will treat each other.  Those who do not follow the contract are not helping the class.  We are all responsible for our class, not just the teacher.

The goal is not to use consequences, but for the class to self-manage with non-verbal signs.

1.   Hand up, clapping, lights out = get quiet and refocus
2.   Thumb pull back = get back to the task at hand
3.   Foul, two put-ups = you broke the contract and/or hurt feelings.
a.   If it is called, it counts.
b.   It’s not a toy.  Don’t joke around with it.
c.    Someone can call a foul for someone else.
d.   If a foul is called, no explanation is needed.
              e.   The penalty is two put-ups.

Remember- all choices have consequences.