Thursday, February 10, 2011

Do you remember this?  I had one back in the early 80's.  At the time, these cassette players were revolutionary.

Check out the rest of the walkmen devices here.

Now look what we have!  Thirty years later, the iPhone is the ultimate communication/ entertainment device.  As I explained to the kids today, 30 years from now, their children will be laughing at the iPhone4 that we thought was so awesome!

I am asking the students, then, to dream up the ultimate device.  They are to overcome the limitations of the iPhone: holding it in your hands, touching it with your fingers, looking at a small screen.  They need to show me the perfect device, which means they will have to make it up!  That is exactly what sci-fi writers do.

If you want to giggle, look at this video as if you are in the future.  Listen to how "revolutionary" they make the phone seem.  Trust me, this device will be a blip in the history of phones!