Wednesday, December 09, 2009

December 9, 2009

Homework:
Choosing the Right Word unit 6
Outline for the ant essay is due Thursday

Today:
We reviewed the pictionaries and synonyms.
Then we discussed how to fill in the outline for the ant essay.  Here is basically what I said.  The first thing they have to do is come up with a creative introduction.  I gave them a basic one to start.

The Ant Essay Outline
Then they have to come up with three main reasons to support their position.  For example, the boy in the story should squish the ant because ants are 1. nasty, 2. useless, and 3. the ant is lying.  These are not great, but they will do.

Then they need to think of three supports for each of the reasons.  For example, ants are nasty because 1,2,3.  Last, explain the 1,2,3 for each.  See this basic example:

Thesis: Mom and Dad, you should get me a car when I am 16 years old.

1. You won’t have to drive me around.
          a. You have things to do.
               Laundry
               Cook
               Clean
           b. I can do the food shopping.
              Won’t waste time.
              More cleaning!
           c. ______________

2. I can get a job.
      a. I will help pay for insurance
           I will give you money to help pay!
      b. It may be far, and I can drive.
          You can do more cleaning!
      c. Teach responsibility.
          Have to be on time, life lessons!

3. I won’t be driving your car.

Next, the students need to explain the other position.  I gave them the example of asking parents for a Playstation3.  Kids will first present their position.  This next section is where they demonstrate that they fully understand why Mom will not want to buy them a Playstation3.  The paragraph will show that they understand the complexity of the request.

Next, they will take each of the supports that Mom had and show why she is wrong.  For the ant debate, they will need to be ready to show how the opponent is wrong.  The best way to be prepared is to have an idea of what the opponent will say.

Finally, the essay will end with a conclusion.  I have supplied a basic one.