Monday, December 14, 2009

December 14, 2009

Homework:
Quiz Wednesday on Unit 6
Sections 3, 6, and 7 should be making flashcards
The good draft is due next Monday.  I will discuss the essays later this week.

Today:
I had a little competition to see who is a vocab master for unit 6.  I did it like a spelling bee where students were eliminated.  First I did definition.  Then I challenged them to identify the antonym of the word.  If there were any students left, I did spelling or part of speech.  It was fun.

Next we continued with our debates.  I have tried my best to get the students prepared, and if they followed my directions, they would be ready.  Some students just seem lost, and I cannot figure out why.  Regardless, I am pressing on and handing out the grades students earn.

We did have an interesting thing happen in one class: the winner got a lower grade than the loser.  This happened because the class thought the one girl had the better debate, but I scored them differently.  My numbers did not match theirs.  I give the grade.  The class gives the win as long as we are close enough, and we were.