Friday, September 07, 2007

September 7, 2007

Homework:
Bring in vocab book money. $8.50

Today:
DOL
Lesson on introductions
Some students read their essays to the class.

Today I taught the first lesson on introductions. I think of the intro as trying to get someone to jump off of a high dive into the pool. From that high up, the jump is scary. It's the same way I feel when I look at a four-page essay! I am not so sure what to expect! However, a nice "handshake" will ease me out the board, and a clear thesis will tell me what to expect. If the intro makes me interested, I am ready to read the paper. If the intro is bad, I am reluctant to read the paper. There will be many more lessons on introductions.

On Monday, we will be starting our next piece. I will begin reading the summer essays next week.