Friday, September 14, 2007

September 14, 2007

Homework:
Rough essay due Monday
Sections 1 and 2: some students need to improve their collages

Today:
Buzzword
I was out yesterday for the Jewish New Year. The students were supposed to think about how they would organize their essays. Some classes worked harder than others, so I spent today making sure the students have an idea of what to write about.

I had the students trade their collages with someone else. I took the students few some steps so they could explain what they thought their partner was trying to say about him/herself. If the goal of the collage was to show how they define themselves, well, how did someone else see them? If it was not what they thought, maybe they need to think about what they will say on Monday.

I showed some classes how they could group what they would say in the essay. Here are a few suggestions: (1) Family, Friends, Hobbies; (2) things I do, places I go, TV shows I watch; and (3) I define myself as fun, fun, and more fun. Students were to come up with their own.

I also began the discussion on handshakes for the intro paragraph. We will discuss introductions all year long. I will listen to their introductions more on Monday.