Thursday, September 20, 2007

September 20, 2007

Homework:
Notebook quiz tomorrow on 9/4 -9/18

Today:
I gave the students a grade slip. Since there were only a few grades, I did not require them to get it signed. I will be adding some more meaningful grades soon, specifically the notebook quiz, the presentation grades, and another participation grade. I explained that the next slip will need to be signed. I hand the grades to the students to show them how getting the work in on-time helps their grade. With 7 classes of assignments whirling in their heads, it is easy to forget that some assignments were not completed. That gives them a false sense of how they are doing. The grade slip shows them exactly why they received their grade.

We continued presentations today. I continued to explain in detail why each student received an A,B, or C. Each student provides me with an opportunity for a brief lesson. Students who want to improve their scores can revise their essays based on my comments. A few students have taken me up on that.

By this time, I would have given the first vocab quiz. Since we had to order the books from collected money, the process has taken a long time. Next week we will start with a diagnostic. When the books come in you will see an increase in homework.