Wednesday, January 06, 2016

FYI on the benchmark scores on HAC



I wanted to explain the grades on HAC that deal with the district benchmark test.  The district has scheduled two common assessments this year for 8th Grade ELA.  These tests are slightly modified versions of the collection (unit) tests that come with the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Collections book we are using.  The tests are designed to assess the students’ acquisition of the skills taught during a collection (unit). 

The students were to read three texts and answer questions.  The test is comprised of 36 multiple choice questions and two written questions.  I took the test and was surprised when I earned a 76% on the multiple choice part.  (I would have done very well on the written questions.)  My point in telling you my score is to let you know that the questions were hard.  I know I am not perfect.  I accept that.  But these questions were seriously hard.

The written questions were scored either a 2, 1, or 0 (100%, 75%, 50% on HAC). 
The multiple choice score I put on HAC was taken from only the questions on the information I was able to teach the students before the required window when we had to give the test.  (The district will see all the scores.)

I hope this blog entry helps you understand what the scores mean on HAC.  I made the scores very small formatives because these tests are designed to give us feedback on students’ progress. 

If you have further questions, please contact me through e-mail.


-MrBoZ