Monday, November 14, 2011

Two quizzes this week.

Homework:
Completing the Sentence Unit 5 Vocab
Vocab quiz Thursday
Sentence Structure test Friday

Over the next few days, I will be plowing through the sentence structure lessons.  It will not be exciting, and students will need to pay attention.  Here are the items that students must be able to identify on Friday.  I will be giving them a paragraph with underlined sections.  They will have to say what the underlined section is.


Sentence Structure test Friday
Simple subject
Simple predicate or verb
Complete subject-
Complete predicate-
Verb phrase      Verb and its helping verbs, creates the verb tense
Action verb        run, jump, play
Helping verbs   (notes)
Linking verbs     the state of “being”    I am happy.  I am the teacher.
Compound subjects             S and SV.  My brother and my sister jumped.
Compound verbs                 S V and V.  My brother jumped and played.
Compound sentence                      SV, and SV My brother cried, and my sister laughed.
Fragment                               S missing V
Run-on                              SV SV missing proper punctuation to join
                                                        My brother cried and my sister laughed.
Sentence types:
Declarative               SV.
Interrogative            SV?
Exclamatory             SV!
Imperative               SV.     SV!

If you can find the subjects and verbs, everything else follows.