Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sentence Structure Quiz Friday

Homework:
Quiz on Sentence Structure
Be sure to have the notes we have taken.  They will be collected.
They can be used on the test.  They can be copied from my web page.

Today:
We took the quiz on Unit 5 vocabulary.
I reviewed some of the key terms that the students need for the sentence quiz tomorrow.
Then I began the next unit: the ant debate.

When I get time, I will put up the web page for the ant debate.  I have done this for years.  In a nutshell, the students are going to argue whether the boy in the story Hey, Little Ant should or should not step on the ant in the story.  By the Thanksgiving break, the students will be paired up to compete against each other.  After the break, we will start researching for the debates.  However, before the break, we will watch the movie The Ant Bully.  Over the next few weeks, I will be teaching them how to create a strong argument.  I will also be teaching them how to defeat their opponent's arguments.  Trust me, this is a challenging but fun unit.  I have students that come to me years after having me and they still remember how they did in the debate!

More details will follow.