Tuesday, April 27, 2010

April 27, 2010

(Picture: We are trying to sell the yearbooks!)

Homework:
Synonyms and Choosing the Right Word unit 12
Good draft of 500 word piece due Thursday

Today:
Daily Drill
Read another sample 500 word piece
We spent time peer editing looking for errors

Here is what I explained to the students over the last two days.
"Your paper should not have any of these errors:
Proper nouns, Possession, Spelling, Contractions, Comma- Intro clause or phrase, Comma- Quotes. Run-on sentences do not help your score. "

0 errors = A
2=A-
3=B+
4=B
5=B-
6=C+
7=C
8=C-
9=D+
10=D
11=D-
12=F

There are other errors that I will point out in their papers, but I am only taking off points for those errors listed above.  I am also giving a grade for content, but that will be a smaller grade.  I want these perfect.  I encouraged the students to get help from someone else.