Monday, November 09, 2009

November 9, 2009

Homework:
Completing the sentence unit 4
Sections 1 and 2 should complete the worksheet I gave them as best they can.

Today:
Daily Drill
Reviewed words from unit 4
Began notes on advanced sentence structure lesson

Monday, November 9, 2009 (R4)
Frequently Confused words
formally- with dignity, following strict rules
We were formally introduced at the dinner.
formerly- previously, in the past
I formerly worked at the mall before this.
hear- to perceive sounds by ear
here- in this place

1. Which word comes first alphabetically?
(myth, mystery, myself, mysterious)
2. Dad sets in a chair to read him newspaper.
3. Is miss browns english class gonna resight Robert Frosts poem at the assembly?
4. What part of speech is the underlined word?
Lay the new clothes neatly on the bed before you go outside.

Notes
Clause has a subject and a verb

He jumped on the bed. (independent)

while he jumped on the bed (dependent)

Independent Clauses- expresses a complete thought.

My favorite store went out of business.

Compound sentence
- two independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction.

My favorite store went out of business, so I went somewhere else.

Coordinating Conjunctions: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so

I had to go to the store, for I needed to buy bread!
I went to the store, and I bought a lot of brownies
I did not feel like sitting any longer ,nor did I want to listen.
Alex was sleeping in class, but he woke up in time to leave.
Go to time-out , or get a phone call home!
I didn’t do my hair, yet I still looked good!
I ran out of eggs, so I had to buy more.