Tuesday, October 13, 2009

October 13, 2009

Homework:
None really.  I have not handed back the good-rough drafts yet.  I will do that tomorrow.

Today:
Quiz unit 2.  The results will be on the HAC soon.
We discussed how I will score the essays.  They will be worth 200 points, which is a big class grade.  They need to have great grammar.  If you have time, I would ask that you look over their papers and HELP them to understand what THEY need to fix. :)
As of now, I have spent a lot of time showing the students what I expect from a good narrative.  It is time for them to step up.

These are the four handshakes the students should choose from.
Handshake leads the reader into the paper.
Thesis explains the focus of the paper.


Question- A question provokes thought and helps the reader become involved in your subject matter. Your job in the paper is to provide the answer to this question.

Do you believe that all dogs go to heaven? Do dogs have souls like people? The night my dog was hit by a car in front of my house, I wanted to hide in my room in cry. I wanted to run away from the pain. Instead, my dad told me to help him. When I buried my dog, I learned an important lesson about death.


Quote- Your quote should tie into your subject matter and come from a recognized authority in the field. (Try this site for quotes.) Using a quote will give your writing believability and help convince your reader to read on.

Joseph Addison, an American writer, once mused, “Animals, in their generation, are wiser than the sons of men; but their wisdom is confined to a few particulars, and lies in a very narrow compass.” The night my dog got hit by a car, I wanted to hide in my room in cry. I wanted to run away from the pain. Instead, my dad told me to help him, and I am glad he did. That night, my dying dog taught me some wisdom I would never forget.


Amazing fact or statistic- Either one of these hooks is intended to disquiet the reader with its bluntness or frankness.

Every year 10,000 family pets are hit on the road in front of their houses. While not all accidents can be prevented, people should be more careful, for both the safety of their pet and for the safety of motorists. The night my dog got hit by a car, I wanted to hide in my room in cry. I wanted to run away from the pain. Instead, my dad told me to help him, and I am glad he did.


In the middle- Your handshake puts the reader right in the middle of the action. It’s like you suck them from their world into yours.

We were all standing around the animal in the middle of the road. The sun was going down, as were our hopes for our family’s pet surviving the night. We knew we had to do something, but we were afraid that anything we would do would put the poor thing in even more pain. The night my dog got hit by a car, I wanted to hide in my room in cry. I wanted to run away from the pain. Instead, my dad told me to help him, and I am glad he did.