Wednesday, August 27, 2008

August 27, 2008

Homework:
Bring in vocab book money
Bring in Internet permission slip
Please have an English notebook for Tuesday

Today:
It may seem silly that I am spending the first week of school studying Barney the Dinosaur. But setting a tone for the rest of the year is important. By the end of this week, I want the students to know my expectations for them. They may be seventh graders and think they are above Barney, but the lessons taught on the show are ones that we should all follow no matter how old we are. And when I say all, I mean that. In each discussion about creating a Barney room, I am included. I am not beginning my year telling my students what THEY need to be doing. I want us to think about what WE need to be doing. I may be older and more mature than the students, but I am equally imperfect.

My goal for these lessons on Barney is that we can refer back to the lessons from the show throughout the year. When students are not behaving properly, I can remind them, not of the rules of the classroom, but of the perfection I would like us to strive for. Likewise, when I say or do something that is not Barney-like, I want them to politely point it out. Together we will make an enjoyable classroom environment.