Monday, February 25, 2008

February 25, 2008

Homework:
Sections 1 and 2: Completing the Sentence
Sections 6 and 7: Completing the Sentence and finish the 3 column chart discussed in class
Section 3: I handed out grade slips. Make-up work should be done.

Today:
Daily Spelling- See the list on MrBoZ.com

With the missed day last week, I started class by reviewing the vocabulary words. We put the pictionaries on the board and tried to guess them. We also started the completing the sentence.

Then we discussed how the next piece they write will be a persuasive letter. The theme is, "I gotta say what's on my mind." The focus of my lessons for this persuasive piece, as I always do with persuasion, is to be very aware of the audience we are writing to. The purpose of the three column chart is to see how Gabriella said what she needed to, yet she was sensitive to the feelings of Troy. I want the students to see this pattern because I will be expecting them to spend time preparing their points in light of the person they are writing to.

The letter is very open ended. Tomorrow I will give them time to start exploring what they will write about. The due date is going to change!