Tuesday, March 06, 2007

March 6, 2007

Homework:
Finish Unit 10

Today:
We did a buzzword and reviewed the vocab homework. Then I started taking them through the next text-based writing piece we are working on. I made the assignment page. You can check that out if you want to.

I wanted them to focus on imagining the character who is giving the speech. Since she is in the news, I used Brittany Spears as an example. When I asked them what she would talk to them about if she came into our school, they guessed it would be something on trying to live your live right. (I also told them to image that this was years later, and she had her act together!) The exercise was not to be about gossip. I wanted them to see that if they knew enough about someone, they should be able to think like him/her. That is what I want them to do for the essay. The hard part is figuring out the character of Richard Petty from the article.

I also posted their oral readings. You can listen to them here.

I sent grades by e-mail today. I will give them to the students tomorrow.