Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The ant debates are over and the essays are handed in!

(Can you guess who won the last ant debate of the year?)

I love the ant debates, and I know the students will not forget them.  However, the unit is a lot of work.  Getting the students to research and think deeply this close to the break is a challenge, but it is worth it!

I updated the Ant Debate assignment page.  If you scroll to the bottom, you will see the winners in each class.  I always find it interesting how the students think that the squishers have no chance of winning because it seems obvious that the ant should not be squished.  However, I tell them to think of the debate like being a lawyer.  Your job is to argue for one side whether you agree with the position or not.  As you can see, there were plenty of squishers who won!

I am looking forward to a break.  I am not sure if I will grade the essays before the new year.  I will take them home, but I make no guarantees.  :)


Have a nice holiday and a happy new year!
-MrBoZ