Friday, January 09, 2009

January 9, 2009

On Monday, I expect the students to come to class with all their research for the ant debates completed.  I told them they should have two columns that list the reasons why the boy should squish the ant and why the boy should not squish the ant.  These reasons are from the research.

They should also have a bibliography of their sources.  They were taught how to do this in Science when they did their genetic reports.  This is not the final bibliography.  I just want them to know that writing down the source information is important.

Next week I will get the students focusing on how to argue.  I need the squishers to pay close attention because they have the toughest job.  However, I made some links on my web page.  I will also share how they will be scored during the debate so they can create a strategy for winning.  The winner is not always the one who talks the longest.  I will be teaching students how to discern if the arguments presented are actually good.  They don't get points whenever they open their mouths.

By the end of these debates, the students should have more than enough information to write a killer persuasive paper.