Wednesday, January 14, 2009

January 14, 2009

Homework
All:
Vocab quiz tomorrow
Keep researching for the ant debate
Figure out your strategy for winning the debate

Today:
Sections 1 and 2
I handed back the DuPont Challenge essays and explained how I would like some of them to sumbit.  Not all were up to the standards of the essay contest, however.  That's ok.  Almost every one of the essays showed how hard the students worked.  I was pleased.  The submissions are due by January 31.  I will be notified when a student submits.

Sections 6 and 7
I explained the way they will be scored for the ant debate.  They will need to develop a strategy for winning.  I showed them that they must write an introduction and a conclusion just as they would for an essay.  They can also earn points for eye contact and having a visual.  Furthermore, only the winner will get an A, even if both participants earned enough points to get an A!  That's the inspiration to win!

Section 3
We made flashcards and started the brainstorming for the ant debate essay.  I will have the students write the essay before we start the debate.  This way I know they will be prepared.  For the essay, students can take either side.  For the debate, the students must argue for the position I assigned to them.