Monday, May 24, 2010

I updated some grades on-line

I added some grades today.  I wanted to explain the two participation grades.  Over the past six weeks, I have been keeping detailed information about their participation.  Let me explain the two grades.  This grade was on the grammar lessons we did using the responders as warm-ups.  Many questions related to lessons we have already learned.  The grade on the daily drills comes from their average compared to the other students in the class.  In other words, I did not compare them to the total possible points, like a test.  I looked at the average of the class and determined if they are above it or at it.  No student received lower than a C.
   
The other participation grade is based on how many times the student participated in the daily drill discussion and the vocabulary reviews.  I try to be very fair in handing out these points.  If a student has less points than any student with his hand up, I go to the student with the lowest points.  The students who participate more accumulate more points.  Like the previous grade, I compared their average to the class.  The student with the most got 100, but none of the others received less than a C.

There are two more big grades left in the MP.  The students will have to hand in a wisdom piece that I will explain more this week.  It is due June 2.  They will also have their vocab final June 4.  That is 100 points in the quiz category.  There might be one or two small class grades.  We will see.