Monday, May 05, 2008

May 5, 2008

Homework:
Pictionaries unit 15
Quiz Friday

Today:
Buzzword
Reviewed calendar
Discussed words for unit 15
Handed out the next writing prompt (I will make a web page soon.)
Watched the end of The Monsters are Due on Maple Street again now that they have the prompt.

I am curious to see how deeply the students will think about the topic. As a 39-year-old, I see some truth in what the aliens were saying. There is a strong record of humans acting just like they do in the episode. But I also know the technique will not work totally. It never has. I will write the essay as well. Each year I see different meanings in pieces of literature. We bring our own lives to a piece of art. We interpret the piece in light of our current understandings. For a 12-year-old, their current understandings are limited. I will try to help them think deeply, beyond the 2 seconds they usually take to think something through. :)