Thursday, August 30, 2007

August 29, 2007

Homework:
The first essay was assigned today. You can see the requirements on the assignment page at MrBoZ.com. The essay must be handed in HAND-WRITTEN.

Today:
Sorry I did not get to post this right after school. I had to leave early. My son starts kindergarten tomorrow, and I had to meet his teacher.

I handed out the assignment page for the essay. Then we discussed a few songs: Beyonce's "Summertime" and the Beach Boy's "All Summer Long" and "Be True to Your School." I used the time today to discuss three questions. How does the song convey the feeling of summer? Why do we enjoy songs about summer? In what ways are the songs reality or fantasy? High School Musical is a throwback to a more innocent time. As we study the musical, I want to explore the era that reveled in innocence. In today's day, HSM stands out as different because it goes against what is cool, because in order to be cool there has to be some rebellion. How cool would it be if the new cool were a rebellion against rebellion!